Director Safety and Licensing
Sector: Nuclear New Build
Do you want to contribute to the development of a new energy technology that can safely turn nuclear waste into emission-free energy? Are you excited about working in a hands-on deep tech start-up team that aims to make a huge impact? Do you like complex challenges? Then, we might have just the opportunity you are looking for!
We are looking for a driven Director of Safety and Licensing to join an innovative and international team.
Our client is a developer of nuclear power solutions. The company designs and creates frontier technology for Molten Salt Reactors (MSR). There are currently 18 professional experts in Amsterdam and an office is being opened in Lyon, France. This role is preferably based in Lyon, Amsterdam can be discussed.
They currently have a team of ~18 in Amsterdam and are hiring a similar sized team in Lyon. They are in the development phase and aim to solidify our design through analyses, experiments, simulations, and partnerships.
As the Director of Safety and Licensing you will lead our team in taking responsibility for the safety validation and licensing. You will build strong working relationships with the regulators in France and the Netherlands, with our team and external partners. Supported by the technical team you will stress test the reactor design and propose adjustments to maximize safety and accelerate the licensing trajectory.
- Set an ambitious and robust licensing strategy for the first of a kind reactor and its commercial version (100 MW) that mitigates regulatory risks.
- Lead all safety related activities across Lyon and Amsterdam during the “early-review” phase and pre-licensing assessment of the first of a kind reactor, including for example PIE definition and selection, the deterministic safety assessment, and preparation of the (preliminary) Safety Assessment Report.
- Maintain an active dialogue and work closely together with the ASN and ANVS.
- Give strategic design input during the conceptual and basic design phase to ensure the application of safety standards and facilitate licensing.
- Specify, select, and manage external contractors and suppliers that support the safety case.
- Define and improve working processes and procedures, define a safety framework to ensure a safety and licensing mindset across teams, reactor designs and facilities.
- Contribute internationally to the development of a shared safety framework for Molten Salt Reactors.
- Report to the CEO
Qualifications and Experience
- You can work in an agile manner and are comfortable at the fast-moving pace of a technological scale-up.
- You have extensive experience in defining and validating safety cases based on a leading role in reactor safety analysis (PSA phase).
- You have exceptional knowledge of regulatory requirements in Europe (France and/or the Netherlands) and reactor operations.
- You are a fast learner that can see the bigger picture in complex multi-disciplinary projects.
- You have management experience leading in leading a team and taking ownership for deliverables.
- You have strong stakeholder management skills.
- You have a master’s degree in science or engineering.
- You are an excellent communicator in English, both spoken and written and in either Dutch or French.
Interested in this position?
You can apply directly online using the button below
With a background in psychology, I am a proud member of Team Europe, finding the right fit for my clients and the most exciting job opportunities for my candidates!
Help us grow and achieve your potential at a values-driven business.